Phoenix VA Health Care System
The Phoenix VA Health Care System Laboratory strives to be a model of clinical and organizational excellence. Our mission is to provide quality care to our Veterans. Services are delivered in a timely and professional manner. The Phoenix VA Laboratory is accredited by the College of American Pathologists and the American Association of Blood Banks. The Laboratory is also inspected by the Food and Drug Administration and the Joint Commission.
At the conclusion of a clinic visit, the medical support assistant will print for you a future appointment schedule called “Your Next Step of Care.” If your provider ordered lab work, that paper will have your lab information under the heading “LABORATORY STUDIES” -- PLEASE NOTE: All lab orders must be placed in the computer by your provider. Your provider should tell you when they would like you to return for lab work. The actual day you return is usually not critical, but check with your patient care team team before you leave if you have any questions. The paperwork will also tell you if you need to be fasting before your lab work.
If you do not need to fast, the best time to come to the lab is in the afternoon. We try to keep your wait time to less than 15 minutes, but the wait times may be longer during our busiest times (typically from 8-11 a.m.). Please plan accordingly. You can also go to any of the Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) to have your blood drawn if that is more convenient for you. The blood at the CBOCs is transported to the main facility for testing. NOTE: There are some special tests that can only be drawn at the main campus.
Some tests (e.g. glucose, lipid panel, triglyceride) require fasting. Either your paperwork or your nedical provider/team member will let you know if you need to fast. If you are instructed to fast prior to your lab work, please do not eat or drink anything for 8-12 hours before you come to the lab. You may drink water only -- please check with your provider about what medications are OK to take while fasting.
The lab strives to have routine work completed within the next business day and stats completed within one hour from the time the blood is brought to the main lab for testing. Specialized tests may take several days to a week to be completed (occasionally longer). The lab staff is not able to tell you your lab results. The provider that ordered the test is responsible for providing you this information because they must interpret this information in relation to the rest of your clinical picture. Most lab results are also available in MyHealtheVet. They will transmit three days after the test results are available to the provider. It is best that the provider(s) discuss the lab results with you so you can understand the results mean in relation to your clinical history and current health status.
If you have any concerns during your lab visit, please ask to speak to the lead phlebotomist, the phlebotomy supervisor or the laboratory manager. You can also call 602-277-5551, ext. 7895. We want to ensure every visit you make to the lab is a positive experience. Although getting blood drawn is not the most pleasant of experiences, our staff should be proficient, helpful and polite at all times. We are thankful for your service to this country and you deserve our respect and assistance.
Hours and Locations:
Main Phoenix VA Hospital
- Outpatient Laboratory: Located in the Ambulatory Care Clinic (ACC), room A2302, across from the elevators and Radiology on the 2nd floor.
- Hours for the Outpatient Lab are 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday. You do not need an appointment to come to the lab. It is first-come, first-served. After 4:30 p.m., you will be directed to go to the Inpatient Laboratory, which is open until 8 p.m.
- Inpatient Laboratory: Located in the main hospital on the second floor near the B elevators.
- Hours for the Inpatient Lab are 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday-Friday. If you are scheduled for a clinic visit on the weekend, you can come to the Inpatient Lab between the hours of 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Inpatient Lab is for ambulatory inpatients, STAT requests and special procedure tests. Please do not go to the Inpatient Lab for service on weekdays before 4:30 p.m. unless you have a STAT order or need a special procedure test and are directed to go there by a staff member.
Lab Hours for CBOCs:
- Globe: 8-11 a.m. and 1-2 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Southwest: 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Northwest: 7:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Show Low: 8-11 a.m., Monday through Friday (Note: The lab opens at 9 a.m. on the fourth Wednesday of the month)
- Southeast: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Northeast: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Midtown: 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Thunderbird: 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- ACC, 2nd floor
- 602-277-5551 Ext. 2848
Hours of Operation
- 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.