Phoenix VA Health Care System
Non-VA Medical Care
Non-VA Medical Care Program
Non-VA medical care is provided to eligible Veterans by community-based providers when those services are not "feasibly" available from a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical facility. The use of non-VA medical care is governed by federal laws covering eligibility criteria and other policies specifying when and in what situations it can be used. An authorization for treatment in the community is required for non-VA medical care – unless the medical event is an emergency. Emergency events may be reimbursed on behalf of the Veteran in certain cases.
- If you would like to request a Non VA Care referral, contact your Primary Care Provider (PCP) to place one for you.
- If you already have a Non VA Care consult in place and need assistance, call 602-277-5551, ext. 1-2254.
- If you have been referred to TriWest for your Non VA Care consult and need assistance, call TriWest at 855-722-2838. For more information regarding TriWest, visit the following page: http://www.triwest.com
- Visit our Non-VA Medical Care Program page for more information.
Many Veterans will now have the option to receive non-VA health care rather than waiting for a VA appointment or traveling to a VA facility. Since Nov. 5, 2014, the new Choice Program has been available to cover non-VA care for eligible Veterans enrolled in VA healthcare. Veterans are eligible if any of these situations apply to you:
- You have been told by your local VA medical facility that you will need to wait more than 30 days from your preferred date or the date medically determined by your physician
- Your current residence is more than 40 miles from the closest VA health care facility
- You need to travel by plane or boat to the VA medical facility closest to your home
- You face a geographic challenge, such as extensive distances around water or other geologic formations, such as mountains, which presents a significant travel hardship
To determine if you qualify, please call 866-606-8198