Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Phoenix VA Health Care System

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My HealtheVet badge
EBenefits Badge

Billing & Claims

If a Veteran wishes to submit a claim for medical care that was not pre-authorized by VA, he or she may

  • 1) call the Non VA Purchased Care help line for assistance, 602-277-5551, ext. 2254
  • 2) Or mail the information to:

Carl T. Hayden Medical Center
Attn: Non VA Purchased Care Department 136G
650 East Indian School Road
Phoenix, Arizona 85012

In order for the VA to reimburse the non-VA provider on behalf of a Veteran for the unauthorized/emergency service provided, the following eligibility criteria must be met:

  • Treatment was emergent according to the prudent layperson standard
  • VA facilities were not feasibly available and attempt to use them beforehand would have been hazardous to life or health by prudent layperson standard.
  • Furthermore, the emergency treatment must have been for at least one of the following:
    • An adjudicated service connected disability;
    • A non-service connected disability associated with and aggravating an adjudicated service connected disability;
    • Any disability of a Veteran who has a total disability permanent in nature resulting from a service connected disability;
    • Any illness, injury or dental condition of a Veteran participating in a rehabilitation program under 38 U.S.C. Ch. 31.

The request will go through a process to be considered for approval.