Phoenix VA Health Care System
Billing & Claims
If a Veteran wishes to submit a claim for medical care that was not pre-authorized by VA, he or she may
- 1) call the Non VA Purchased Care help line for assistance, 602-277-5551, ext. 2254
- 2) Or mail the information to:
Carl T. Hayden Medical Center
Attn: Non VA Purchased Care Department 136G
650 East Indian School Road
Phoenix, Arizona 85012
In order for the VA to reimburse the non-VA provider on behalf of a Veteran for the unauthorized/emergency service provided, the following eligibility criteria must be met:
- Treatment was emergent according to the prudent layperson standard
- VA facilities were not feasibly available and attempt to use them beforehand would have been hazardous to life or health by prudent layperson standard.
- Furthermore, the emergency treatment must have been for at least one of the following:
- An adjudicated service connected disability;
- A non-service connected disability associated with and aggravating an adjudicated service connected disability;
- Any disability of a Veteran who has a total disability permanent in nature resulting from a service connected disability;
- Any illness, injury or dental condition of a Veteran participating in a rehabilitation program under 38 U.S.C. Ch. 31.
The request will go through a process to be considered for approval.