Phoenix VA Health Care System
Green Environmental Management System (GEMS)
At the Phoenix VA Health Care System, we strive to offer the highest quality health care to our nation’s Veterans. To do this, our VA staff members work hard to protect the environment as well as the health and safety of our patients, employees and visitors. Here are some ways we are doing that:
- We use a system called Green Environmental Management System (GEMS) that meets the president’s requirements and the rules provided by the Veterans Health Administration.
- We take good care of the environment by following federal, state and local environmental laws and requirements. This includes preventing pollution, cutting the amount of waste, and saving cultural and natural resources. It also means always looking for ways to improve our environmental programs.
- We do our jobs in a way that reduces or does not impact our environment.
- We try to prevent pollution, cut down on our waste, and conserve our resources whenever practical.
- We use natural resources efficiently and protect plant and wildlife habitats.
- We cnsider environment impact whenever we build or make repairs to any part of our facility.
- We train our staff members to think about the environment while they do their jobs.
- We ask for ideas from staff, patients, visitors, and the local community about environmental matters affecting the operation of the medical center.
The medical center’s official document on this program is available by calling the GEMS Manager at (602) 277-5551, ext. 6335.